- This event has passed.
Everest Cymru Challenge
1st Jun 20198:00 am - 30th Jul 20197:00 pm
*Keep your eyes peeled for more info in Summer 2019!*
We’re climbing Everest – in Wales!
This Easter a group of 9 intrepid Wave Project supporters including our Wales Coordinator Holly are taking on a trek of the Himalayas to reach the Base Camp of Mount Everest, a route which most ambitious climbers take on in their pursuit to tackle the summit of the mountain. Our trekkers have pledged to raise over £1000 EACH for our surf therapy charity that now spans 13 UK locations.
We thought we’d create our own challenge at home and raise profits for the awesome work carried out by our volunteers and surf schools on the South Wales coast, as sadly this year we are without our much-needed core funding.
Walk, run, climb, swim or bike your way to Mount Everest (sort of) using our beautiful Welsh landscape! Keep track of your achievements and total up your ventures to meet your chosen goal.
– Everest stands at 8848 metres
– Everest Base Camp stands at 5380 metres
– Everest Base Camp is an 80-mile round-trip
Convert the metres to miles, complete them horizontally instead of vertically, or take 10 trips to Pen-Y-Fan and cover the full height of Mt Everest! Interpret your total goal to suit your sport and ability. Use this group to arrange your hikes/swims/climbs and document your pursuits – Wave Project stickers up for grabs!
You could …
- Share the total with a friend or group – add up the total height/distance of your individual walks to meet the overall goal
- Pool/bank your hours in the event group – offer up your achieved distance/height to another participant, a great way to contribute!
- Visit a climbing centre and add your climbs to your outdoor pursuit heights, every bit helps! Hitting the gym? Don’t forget to keep track your distance on the treadmill and bike.
- Add your run/triathlon/swim event distance to your total
Ask your friends, family, work colleagues or local business to sponsor the cause and raise money for Wave Project Cymru. Use this link when asking for donations as 100% of funds raised will go to Wave Project Cymru https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/everestcymruchallenge
Post your adventures in our Facebook Event page https://www.facebook.com/events/2303758302991492/
You can check out Holly’s fundraising efforts so far here https://www.justgiving.com/account/your-pages/hollyeverestbasecamp
* All individual and group efforts are undertaken at your own risk. Wave Project Cymru or The Wave Project are not responsible for any injury/losses sustained whilst undertaking any activity relating to this event. Whilst walks and other activities may be arranged via the event pages, no safety cover/insurances/other arrangements will be made by The Wave Project. This is an event created to raise money for Wave Project Cymru, anyone participating is doing so at their own risk.