- This event has passed.
Volunteer Training & Information Day – Wave Project Cymru
30th Mar9:00 am - 3:30 pm
Are you interested in volunteering for Wave Project Cymru this year?
Come along to our training day, find out more about what volunteering entails & the different ways to get involved
The day will consist of …
- 9 – 9.30 – Arrive at Aberavon Leisure Centre, SA12 6QW. Time for tea, coffee & chats. There is a free car park at the centre.
- 9.30 -12.30pm – Informal training, information on The Wave Project, volunteer roles, safeguarding awareness, all questions answered
- 12.30-1.30pm – Lunch break, we’ll head over to Cafe Remos, Aberavon Beach Hotel or grab a spot to eat our sandwiches!
- 1.30pm – 3pm – Beach & water training – this part of the day isn’t compulsory but will be fun (even if a tad chilly). One of our partner surf schools will lead the session, talking us through what our young people will be taught to do at a session. They’ll give some safety tips and advice and answer any questions.We’ll get to try out our adaptive kit, beach wheelchair and seated surfboard, to familiarise ourselves with them. We’ll also take some foamboards into the sea and practice how to best support young people in the water. There’ll be time for a fun foamie surf at the end if people aren’t quite cold enough.
What to bring
- Please bring your own mug/travel cup for tea & coffee
- If you have wetsuits, boots, gloves, hoods please bring them along for the second part of the day – our surf school will have these to lend if you don’t have your own 🙂 There are no designated changing facilities at Aberavon, there are public toilets and an outdoor shower, however – I will have towel robes to assist with roadside changing!
If you wish to volunteer this year, please read the following DBS information
To register with the online system (it is free for you as a volunteer), please follow the steps below:
1.Log on to https://disclosure.capitarvs.co.uk/cornwall/
2. Click the yellow/orange box for ENHANCED check
3. Enter organisation reference: WAVEPROJECT
4. Enter password: cornwallumbrella
5. Fill in all the information in the form. Your job title is “surf mentor/surf instructor”.
6. Submit the form.
7. Produce 3 documents for verification including at least one PHOTO ID, and one confirming your current address such as a utility bill; For example a passport, birth certificate and your phone bill. One document must verify your current address. Please bring these along to either mentor training or your first session and I will check them all. If you could possibly bring a photocopied version too that would be incredible.